Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ] Go to page « 1 2
darksun9210
Post subject: Re: PCI/PCIe ? Posted: Thu 3 Aug 2017 13:19
yeah I hear that.
we've been able to access reasonably current, if obviously lower powered graphics cards for ages.
PCI to PCIe bridges that operate mostly transparently to the software Kernel/OS layer have been around for ages.
iirc the last of the line AGP cards were just PCIe GFX chips with a bridge chip on board. (AGP being just a faster implementation of PCI).
so a board that offers a single PCIe lane 1x slot and plugs into a standard PCI slot is, and has been readily available for a good while.

the problem is, as always, drivers. but why even bother with an add in card, if perhaps you can implement miniGL in a graphics core on the FPGA?

other side of the coin though if you don't make "it" - whatever that is, software or hardware, available, no one is going to develop anything.
so maybe the next generation of vampire, say the V1200; have a bunch of lines from the FPGA made available on a header, or even just some rows of solder pads. so if anyone wants to develop a PCI/PCIe controller core to add in onto a vampire, they can access it?

that way the capability for almost anything is there. and it's not all on the vampire guys to develop it.
I dunno, i'm getting into the realms of speculation here.

Vampire loaded
A500 + A600
Awaiting Vamps ;)
A1200x3, A3000, A4000, CD32

[Profile] [Quote]
Niding
Post subject: Re: PCI/PCIe ? Posted: Thu 3 Aug 2017 13:52
I see some discussion regarding TinyGL library, so will be intresting to see where that ends up;

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=4&note=7579

[Profile] [Quote]
darksun9210
Post subject: Re: PCI/PCIe ? Posted: Thu 3 Aug 2017 14:28
indeed :)

makes me wonder how much logic space is left on the FPGA or if we're running out of gates yet?

Vampire loaded
A500 + A600
Awaiting Vamps ;)
A1200x3, A3000, A4000, CD32

[Profile] [Quote]
cbmfreak
Post subject: Re: PCI/PCIe ? Posted: Thu 24 Aug 2017 11:18
I think if the vampire got PCIe, then support for 2D/3D cards should be limited to ATI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_ ... #ATI.2FAMD

Mainly 3D would be relevant IMO, since SAGA could handle all 2D tasks or
maybe SAGA could auto switch to a passthrough version when using external 2D cards that surpass SAGA's capabilities

But then again, there would be a serious power problem, how would you power one of ATI's top of the line power hungry 3D cards?

[Profile] [Quote]
vox
Post subject: Re: PCI/PCIe ? Posted: Sat 23 Sep 2017 04:37
guibrush wrote: *  Sat 10 Jun 2017 07:45
If you ask for a PCI graphic card on the Vampire, then you didn't get the purpose of the project. T SAGA is planar oriented, and Pamela extend the possibilites of Paula letting the way to adress her unchanged.
That would be entirely true (no need for PCI gfx) once SAGA starts supporting Warp3D. I agree RTG on SAGA gives most of what is needed - high-res 24-bit outpout via HDMI, but yet it is 2D only. W3D is not just the thing of few OS3 w3d apps (thus completing the 68k compatibility) its in fact basic OpenGL subset that would be needed for advanced ports.

We ll see what "expansion ports" on V4 models will be used for.,

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ] Return to “General Chat” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: