Vampire (68080) on UAE?

Gege

Vampire (68080) on UAE?

Post by Gege » Mon 5 Jun 2017 14:57

I would like to know if implementing the Vampire (mainly the 68080) in UAE (WinUAE) is something planned or in progress?
I ask this beacause I can't carry my A600 with it's Vampire everywere and if I would like to develop specificaly for this board (AMMX instruction) it's more easy.

Gege

Re: Vampire (68080) on UAE?

Post by Gege » Mon 5 Jun 2017 15:25

I found an anwser here :cry:. Hope Toni Wilen change is point of view like he do for the ppc emulation.

vox

Post by vox » Tue 6 Jun 2017 15:34

Gege wrote:
Mon 5 Jun 2017 15:25
I found an anwser here :cry:. Hope Toni Wilen change is point of view like he do for the ppc emulation.
I do understand a Vampire laptop would be nice, but hey - we dont have a standalone yet,
and 68k laptop hasnt yet been built :-)

I am a bit sad how purist look Tony has. Not that he isnt right - emulating Vampire doesnt make sense. First it would have to be a finished core, then again emulation would kill the product sales, plus you can already emulate whatever you need in Classic world, except SAGA.

So what do you actually miss? Currently WinUAE is more compatibile and faster (on proper hardware) then Vampire in OS 3.x. It cant run few Vampire tools and will never have SAGA abilities, but that should stay that way.

Emulating a Vampire will be sign of its death >:-)

Gege

Post by Gege » Tue 6 Jun 2017 16:33

I don't think emulating the Vampire capability on WinUAE kill the Vampire.
If I want the fastest/capable/compatible Amiga I use WinUAE.
But I'm a software developper and I am excited by the new possibility (AMMX) brought by the 68080. I hop more pragrammes use it, but I can't carry my A600 everywhere (A600+power supply+monitor) like I do with my lapetop and WinUAE.
For the moment SAGA is a RTG graphic card with (on GOLD3) AGA fonctionnality on ECS chip, WinUAE already have RTG and AGA graphics.
Portable Amiga already exist ;)

Atheist

Post by Atheist » Tue 13 Jun 2017 09:48

Gege wrote:
Mon 5 Jun 2017 14:57
I would like to know if implementing the Vampire (mainly the 68080) in UAE (WinUAE) is something planned or in progress?
Hi Gege,

(1) Emulating the Vampire on another CPU is a waste of time, (2) would destroy sales of the Vampire computers, and (3) can't be done anyway.

1) Running the BEAUTIFUL Amiga operating system on JUNK windos, a miserable slow klunky piece of garbage... that takes over 60 seconds to boot up.... It DESTROYS what makes AOS so nice to use. You CAN NOT quickly get into Vampire (AMIGA) mode.... You can't "just hit the OFF (electricity) switch" when done. There would probably be all kinds of settings to worry about.

2) Why would anyone buy a ~120 MHz to ~260 MHz (the standalone) 68080 computer that is almost twice as expensive as a budget 3.x GHz intel if the windos computer can imitate it??? And, why would they (The Apollo Team) then keep developing it?

3) Yeah, that's right, I contend that windows wouldn't be able to run a 68080 fast enough.... Remember how long it took for an intel CPU to come out that was able to just emulate an Amiga 500 properly? It takes an EXTREMELY faster processor to emulate alternative computers from their CPU speeds. A 3.4 GHz intel CPU would have to run a 260 MHz 68080 CPU, AND ~150 MHz CUSTOM CHIPS, AND change the endian of the Amiga software being processed. No one will code it. There are too many unknowns that the Apollo Team would not reveal ANYWAY about their CPU for it to be possible!!!

want a computer that boots up in under 10 seconds? The windows computer will NEVER make that possible.

GET A VAMPIRE!
Gege wrote:
Mon 5 Jun 2017 14:57
I ask this beacause I can't carry my A600 with it's Vampire everywere and if I would like to develop specificaly for this board (AMMX instruction) it's more easy.
The CURRENT standalone motherboard that they have as a prototype, is 120 mm x 100 mm. That is not necessarily the final size that they use, they may have to revise it if there are defects in the circuit layout....

But, that would suit your criteria, I think?