Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
xavier
Post subject: openness Vampire project? Posted: Sat 8 Jul 2017 21:11
Hi,

By following this link: http://www.majsta.com/modules.php?name= ... cle&sid=69
I read this: "As promised all work regarding Vampire 600 project will be open sourced and I think that from this materials complete Amiga community can benefit. Documentation will be published gradually when is finished followed with video materials about complex parts.All of this materials are just for educational purpose. If you decide to build something based on this materials drop me an mail but I strictly forbid building large series of accelerators for selling purpose."

This was written on Friday, September 06 2013. Quite a long time now...

I heard about a standalone Vampire product.
With the information that I currently have, it looks like a MIST++ with following benefits:
  • more powerful FPGA (EP3C40 instead of EP3C25)
  • 128 MB of RAM instead of 32 MB
IMO, MIST and standalone Vampire are very similar products. Of course, as Vampire one will be more recent than MIST, it should have more up to date hardware specs, different connectors (HDMI instead of VGA, ...).

Standalone Vampire product coming to market is not a problem for me. I am convinced it will be suitable for targeted audience as all other Vampire products are.

Purpose of this message is just to remember to Vampire team its promise of being "good guys" with Amiga community by technology openness attitude and MIST owners are part of Amiga Community.
I personally hope MIST owners will not be forgotten and they will take benefits of Vampire team knowledge by technology sharing.

I learned that there will be no sharing concerning 68080 CPU because an investor would be interested by this technology. But maybe other parts would be shareable...

I am aware that Vampire team resources are limited and I do not expect personal implication from Vampire team to produce a new or improve existing MIST cores, but please if someone want to do so, give him technical details to realize portage of Vampire team technologies.

Have you any contact with MIST people like Till, Chaos, ...?

So, what is the Vampire team opinion and attitude about Vampire technologies openness and sharing with Amiga community?

[Profile] [Quote]
IanP
Post subject: Re: openness Vampire project? Posted: Sun 9 Jul 2017 19:57
The original Vampire 600 board was open sourced and there was a Polish(?) version of it was made.

The specifications for the stand alone Vampire are likely to be better than you suggested (newer FPGA and more RAM).

Til and BigGun have some history that's not worth going into.

BigGun has said that the SAGA part of the Apollo project will be open sourced in time.

[Profile] [Quote]
xavier
Post subject: Re: openness Vampire project? Posted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 00:35
IanP wrote: *  Sun 9 Jul 2017 19:57
The original Vampire 600 board was open sourced and there was a Polish(?) version of it was made.
Original Vampire 600: it's the first and old Vampire project?
So, all current Vampire technologies are closed source ?
The specifications for the stand alone Vampire are likely to be better than you suggested (newer FPGA and more RAM).
Sorry, I don't know others exciting specifications but if someone want to share info I will complete my personal knowledge ;)
Til and BigGun have some history that's not worth going into.
Hmmm...
I don't know what are you refering about (and it's not my biz) but I understand they don't cooperate in any manner. Sad...
BigGun has said that the SAGA part of the Apollo project will be open sourced in time.
Ok, that sounds great! I hope in reasonable time ;)
Opening it's own technologies is often a difficult subject. What? When?...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] Return to “General Chat”

Jump to: