Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ] Go to page « 1 2
guibrush
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Wed 8 Feb 2017 13:46
Ok. Yes, I undertand, but anyways it's good to take out your installation of the equation. And by testing an image or your CF, we test 2 things : the file system and the system itself. If your installation work well on my 600 with gold2, then remain only 4 things : A600 mobo, Vampire itself, connection between vampire and A600 and compactflash adapter (as you tried many CF, it can't be the CF itself).

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Wed 8 Feb 2017 14:30
As Gold1 is perfectly fine, im not suspecting it to be the motherboard or the vampire neither, but more a compatibility issue between them both. I had similar issues with an Apollo A630 card I recently sold. Maybe its something thats been added to Gold2 causing the incompatibly.

Would be nice to have a different revision board to test it on. I got two Rev1.5's and soon will have a third. May have to stick an advert up to see if anyone wants to swap for a different rev

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Sat 11 Feb 2017 17:38
So.. I think I have ruled it out being the OS install. Just been testing it out and found the following..

A600 Rev1.5 (with good caps) - Running fine with GOLD1 with no ROM update. Been running demos for an hour, including some RTG ones and no issues. If using the ROM update it's a no go, nor if running Gold2. It doesn't boot at all with the ROM update, and without it then it just freezes or crashes randomly within seconds of trying to do anything. - This motherboard also has similar issues running my Apollo A630 and just kept freezing.

A600 Rev1.5 (leaking caps and corrupt display output) - Running fine with Gold2 with the 1.2 ROM update. Had it running demos and AIBB tests and only froze once (possibly not fitted properly)… best part of 30mins non stop demos and stuff and no issues despite the corrupt display.

Guess that pretty much means it's some kind of compatibility with some feature of Gold2 and one of my motherboards. Kind of annoying!

Guess I need to buy some capacitors and a soldering station

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Tue 14 Feb 2017 08:43
Ok, I agree. The fact that you have exact same behaviour with another turbo card let me think that your mobo is the key. I hade some times ago somes big stability problems with my vampire in A600, and after changing the mobo all went fine. I find out that the recaping was bad done, and therefore the card failed when getting hot.

I hope you can recap or swap your mobo, so you can finaly use your Vampire :-)

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Tue 14 Feb 2017 09:41
My old accelerator was unstable in both my Rev1.5' boards unfortunately so maybe just some 1.5's just ain't compatible.

I have now however been given another A600 for free so thats another for my collection. This one has been stored for many years so case is in need of a clean and retrobriting, and the board needs a good dust off. Having inspected the cap's they seem to look ok, no visible leakage so will have a test with this one at the weekend, see how it goes and then re-cap it once I got a new iron as want to remove the RF modulator too,

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Sun 19 Feb 2017 14:54
Mates A600 has a dead row of keys which I can't figure out. It's a motherboard issue and not the keyboard :(. The Vamp seems to work in that one.

Still works in the leaking caps one which now stinks of fish (really need to sort that one out soon). That one hangs now and then though.

My main one seems to be alot more stable. Sanded the socket down again and it got a bit better. Then totally removed the plastic brackets which must have been holding it a little too high to sit on the CPU. Although it doesn't boot 100% every time it seems to be working and stable when it does boot.

Now to design a new mounting system to 3d print

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ] Return to “Vampire 600 V2” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: