Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1 2 »
Lemaru
Post subject: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2017 09:27
I recently got my VampireV2 (Thanks Kipper) and got it all installed and working a treat with the GOLD1 core. It is running OS3.9, and uses the included patch for the BB2 ROM update. Boots up fine every time both from a cold boot and a reset.

Having upgraded to GOLD2, my machine now fails to boot at all when using the BB2 ROM update when using either the 1.1 or 1.2 patch thats included in the core package. If I use SetPatch NOROMUPDATE then it _sometimes_ boots. It will occasionally boot from cold (but only when the KickStart ROM is removed from the board), but when performing a reset it just sticks on a black screen. Also when it does boot, 3 out of 4 times my mouse is not working (using a Rys MK2 USB adapter).

The ROM patching is working as expected as checked with WhichAmiga. As this is fine then I was told its likely a hardware issue, however I am unable to see why it would be hardware when none of these issues occur with GOLD1 which seems to work flawlessly.

For the time being I have reverted back to GOLD1. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause or experienced similar?

The only thing I haven't yet tried is yet again changing the CF card. Currently using a Transcend x133 8GB which works perfect with GOLD1.

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2017 15:21
Hi, do you have other devices such Indivision, Gotek, Subway.... plugged in the 600 ? Could be that your config is on the edge with the power source. Can you list your configuration and your power supply used ?

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2017 18:27
Standard A600 PSU
IDE to Compact flash adapter + 8GB Transcend x133 CF card
1MB chip expansion, can't remember the make without opening it up

Nothing else so pretty stock.

Note that this all works flawlessly with no issues at all on GOLD1

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2017 18:37
Ok. Can you try to remove the CF and then try if you can boot and then reboot with Ctrl A A without crash ?

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2017 18:49
Pretty sure I tried that and it went to the purple screen as expected. It also gets to the boot menu (both mouse buttons) fine too. But I will flash GOLD2 back and give it another check.

When booting without startup-sequence it sometime hangs when typing commands into the shell too which then requires a robot, where it then fails to boot again. Again this is fine with GOLD1

I'll build another compact flash to try too just to rule that out totally.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Mon 6 Feb 2017 12:38
With no compact flash it sits on the purple disk animation indefinitely without issue. Left it on that screen for an hour or so and no issue.

Built another CF card (SanDisk), this time using PFS3DS instead of standard PFS3. Same issue happens. Commented out pretty much everything optional from the ClassicWB startup-sequence so its pretty much stick OS3.9.... Still same issue. When the card heats up it appears that the CF card doesn't try and boot at all... just black screen, yet both cards show in the early startup menu.

Also dug out an SD card adapter and built an SD card. This actually attempts to load (if no ROM updates are loaded), boots to the workbench screen but then freezes the machine as soon as you try and do anything. Funny thing is this is the exact thing that happened with an Apollo A630 card I recently sold that people told me was likely faulty, which having spoken to other users of the card was more likely just a compatibility issue.

I have a spare A600 i need to put back together and will test it in that but this is also a Rev1.5. A friend is also going to give me another which I will clean up and re-cap and such to test it on... but yet again.. another Rev1.5

Any other suggestions are welcome, otherwise i fear i may be forever stuck on GOLD1

[Profile] [Quote]
SpacemonkeyUK
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Mon 6 Feb 2017 15:16
Have you tried:
CF with just a FFS partition
a real 2.5 hard disk

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Mon 6 Feb 2017 15:56
Not got a standard IDE drive to test anymore, though going on the fact that its been two different CF cards, both of which are ones that most people say work fine, and an SD card and issue remains then doubtful that will make much difference. CF is directly compatible with IDE afterall. Also tried two different CF adapters so can rule that out too.

Again, I dont see as any of this is a dostype or storage medium issue. PFS3 and PFS3DS, and all three of the cards, all work flawlessly with GOLD1. Something has changed with GOLD2 that kills it.

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Wed 8 Feb 2017 09:00
Hi, we can make another test to see if this is system related or core related : maybe you can make an image of your Compact flash and upload it (with winimage on windows or applepibacker on mac). Then you can give me your image and I will test it on my V600 with gold2.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lemaru
Post subject: Re: GOLD2 Issue Posted: Wed 8 Feb 2017 13:20
Not a bad plan. I will do this the weekend, basically its just the basic ClassicWB3.9 setup. With the SAGA drivers, updated WHDLoad and EasyNet installed. No other changes have been made really as yet.

My friends giving me his old A600 too so I will have a third one to add to my collection and to test it on.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ] Return to “Vampire 600 V2” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: