Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Dotbtty
Post subject: Vampire 600 v2 problems Posted: Tue 25 Jul 2017 22:52
Hello!

I got a v600 v2 card for some weeks ago from Brian. To be short, it seems unstable.

I have two refurbished 600 machines. One 300 REV 1 and one A600 Rev 2d and have tested on them both.

- Reboots by itself between 5-30 minutes.
- Corrupts the SD card image sometimes
- Goes into Green Screen (power off a while solves it)
- Adjusting Screen resolution. The screen goes black for some seconds during disk/PCMCIA activity quite easily on higher resolutions.

What is tested:
- Both A600 behave the same problem except on the A600 Rev 2d I also noticed strange artifacts on the Vampire boot screen + inside Workbench.
- Removing ROM
- Multiple power supplies (A500, A1200, PC Power with amiga power adapter)
- Different SD Cards, SD Card readers and IDE Cables
- I put a Heatsink on the Cyclone FPGA (it does not go very hot, but just in case)
- Different OS (3.9 BB4 with Vampire drivers and the ApolloOS - Ready made AOS3.9+ distro)
- Boot from ADF image test disk via Gotek - memory testing crashes after a while (randomly)
- Sanding/Cleaning the connections around the CPU
- Adjusting and firmly pushing the card onto the CPU
- With or without PCMCIA card. However it seems more unstable with any cards inserted (but it might be just a feeling). I have 3 different brands of Ethernet cards + a compatcflash card. The Ethernet cards works OK on my 1200.
- The A500 power supply, the IDE cable and the SD Card with the ApolloOS (which is unstable on the Vampire V600) is tested on an A500 with Vampire 500 V2+ and it has been running the whole day without problems. I got the 500 V2+ for 2 weeks ago.

Both Vampire cards came with Gold 2 core installed.

Any ideas :?

[Profile] [Quote]
TrashyMG
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600 v2 problems Posted: Wed 26 Jul 2017 15:05
What are the status of the Electrolytic Capacitors on those boards? Have they been changed out at all? If not that could cause a power instability.

Edit: As for the SD card getting corrupted, I've experienced that myself with the ApolloOS image multiple times. my fix I had to format the Programs: Volume ( DH1: ) to PSF3 vs SFS it shipped with then copy the data back to it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dotbtty
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600 v2 problems Posted: Wed 26 Jul 2017 20:47
All caps been replaced this year. One A600 done by professionals and the other by myself (I have some experience).

Actually it was my OS 3.9 BB 4 installation that got corrupted 2 times. This image is identical with the one running on my A1200 without problems (just added the drivers for Vampire). The worst problem is that the Vampire seems unstable.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dotbtty
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600 v2 problems Posted: Thu 17 Aug 2017 23:18
Think i got it!

Looking very carefully inside the cpu slot on the Vampire card I noticed an tiny piece of plastic hiding behind one of the metal springs (to connect to the A 600 cpu). After removing it I have not had any problems (xing fingers) :roll: . This must be a leftover from when a small cut was made during production on the Vampire cpu socket so it fits over a SMB resistor on the mainboard. Guess this made some of the other connectors around that spot not connecting to the cpu well enough since the plastic piece must have made that spring less fleksible...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] Return to “Vampire 600 V2”

Jump to: