Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum

Vampire 600 V2 Problems. Looking for help.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Assembloid
Post subject: Vampire 600 V2 Problems. Looking for help.
Posted: Wed 25 Apr 2018 21:11

Hi!

I got my Vampire 600 V2 off EBay more than a month ago. The seller claimed it was unused, and I think it really was. I have registered it. Now I'm on Gold 2.9 x10, Coffin r51. My current A600 the Vampire is in has been recapped. I'm using a 32GB CF card.

Unfortunately, since I started using it, I have been experiencing the following problems:

Shapeshifter won't run, unless I set the ram to the max (114 megs I think). Even then, some games/ applications in it won't run. Just freezes.
Quake 1 - saves work, loads don't work.
GNGEO - runs horribly slow, 25-30 fps, unplayable.
194X Deluxe - all sprites besides my plane are glitched out.
CannonBall - colors are messsed up (inverted?), runs horribly slow.

Some demos won't start at all, including Appendix - Electricity, Pusherman - Tuloul, Phoenix, Mad Wizards - Kioea.

This is the software I have tried and know about, there might be more. Many programs run correctly though.

Sometimes the Vampire chips get quite hot, I don't know whether it is normal or not.

I experienced the same problems on 2.7, some previous Coffins too (not all the programs, as they were not all there).

What have I done so far to try and help it which did not help:

I have applied the capacitor fix on C3 and C6.
Tried it on 3 different Amigas 600.
Tried it on 2 different CF cards (Reported by Vampire users to work fine).
Tried it on 2 different Amiga CF adapters.
Tried 3 different PSUs.
Tried flashing Coffin on 2 different PCs and 2 different CF adapters.
Cleaned the Vampire chip socket as well as the Amiga chip with compressed air and isopropanol.
Ran a memory test with MBRTool2 - everything's fine.

Nothing helped, the problems persist. I would be very grateful for some advice and suggesting the next steps to take. I haven't got the USB Blaster yet to flash x11 or x12, but I suppose it should all work on x10 anyway. Gold 2.7 has x11 in .exe format, I had these problems with x11 too.

Thanks!

Profile Quote
Assembloid
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600 V2 Problems. Looking for help.
Posted: Thu 26 Apr 2018 10:44

I talked to Majsta on IRC about the problems. He was very helpful and promised to help me with these issues.

Profile Quote
Assembloid
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600 V2 Problems. Looking for help.
Posted: Mon 28 May 2018 19:07

UPDATE AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF REARRANGEMENTS AND TESTS:

To keep it short: problems persist.

What have I done so far:

I have applied the capacitor fix on C3 and C6.
Tried it on 3 different Amigas 600.
Tried it on 2 different CF cards (Reported by Vampire users to work fine).
Tried it on 2 different Amiga CF adapters.
Tried 3 different PSUs.
Tried flashing Coffin on 2 different PCs and 2 different CF adapters.
Cleaned the Vampire chip socket as well as the Amiga chip with compressed air and isopropanol.
Ran a memory test with MBRTool2 - everything's fine.

Got a USB Blaster - checked cores 2.9 x10 as well as 2.9 x12.
Fixed the board with mounting screws.
Ran the "Quake test" - Quake demo in high resolution for 2 hours - everything's fine.
Ran a lot of RIVA videos full screen - no freezes.
Copied a lot of files and checked them (IDE test) - all was working.

UPDATED LIST OF PROBLEMS (some of the previous ones were verified as generally experienced by other Vampire users, on this list I put the ones that occur only <or almost only> on my setup to my knowledge):

1) ShapeShifter finally runs, but there is this bizarre issue. Depending on how much RAM I set for it to use, it will run or not.

10 meg - 60 meg RAM - it runs,
60 meg - 80 meg RAM - doesn't run, freezes at splash screen
81 meg ram - max meg RAM - it runs.

The values are given approximately.

2) 194x Deluxe is glitched, as in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7HnP9YBfg

3) Quake (the one supplied with Coffin) runs, I am able to save, and even load a savegame file once or twice (usually first and/or second save), but after 2-3 times it is possible to save but not possible to load anymore (and not possible when I restart the game). It hangs on "loading" for about a minute and the I get these types of messages:

https://imgur.com/a/5fmoZXG

4) STonAmiga:

While trying to load (90% of) games in HDD format in STonAmiga (started with a TOS file), I can't do it - the game won't load and gets stuck at the loading "jumbled pixels" screen, sometimes I get bombs pictures (I assume it's a loading error in ST).

The STonAamiga version from Aminet has a kind of log screen, which shows this (BUS error messages):

https://imgur.com/a/bQL50sV

The version supplied with Coffin r51 behaves exactly the same.

5) HeXXen:

The game will sometimes run, sometimes will not (most of the times) in higher resolution screen. I get this message:

https://imgur.com/a/BjQnYlv

Sometimes I get a different error e.g. 80000008 or "Replace the volume Dh1:", or just some gibberish.

It will always run when I set the screenmode to very low resolution before launching it, but after exiting the game i still see the same or similar error message.

There are save/ load issues too.

SUMMARY:

There are some physical problem I noticed. The connection might still be bad. Although mounted with the screws extremely tight, when I press the board and try to wiggle it, Amiga will freeze, sometimes reboot. That means there still might be some connectivity issue. Also, the chips (FPGA, CPU, and the rest) get very hot after 1 - 2 mins. of using the system (depends on the weight of the load perhaps).

One user has changed the socket on the vampire to this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCS-068A-1-I ... %7Ciid%3A1

It helped him. I have already ordered the socket and I am ready to do this too. Also, I am ready to try some cooling for the chips. But first I'd like to consult it with Majsta, this is the aim of this post mostly.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Vampire 600 V2”
Jump to: