Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
darksun9210
Post subject: what software to make best use of Vamp2? Posted: Wed 28 Dec 2016 00:28
ok, Vamp Newb here. just got my A600 vamp installed.

while i get this thing setup and everything installed, I guess my main question is, what software is there to bring the amiga experience into the modern world?
just found Riva mpeg player. and I guess there is NetSurf web browser?

what else are people running on their machines? PDF viewers etc.? I saw something about an updated version of pagestream?

is it worth downloading and installing "amikit real"?

cheers all

Vampire loaded
A500 + A600
Awaiting Vamps ;)
A1200x3, A3000, A4000, CD32

[Profile] [Quote]
Mr-Z
Post subject: Re: what software to make best use of Vamp2? Posted: Wed 28 Dec 2016 06:23
First congrats on receiving your Vampire, be ready for a lot of fun!

Amikit Real should just run fine and all on vampire and saves you a lot of time installing everything by hand, but is also bloated in my opinion.
I like to build my own configs, part of the hobby for me.

For web browsers Netsurf is now a must have, though sometimes still a bit slow, Arti has made great improvements in terms of speed in the last few releases.
On Vampire it runs quick enough to be usable, and together with Riva you can also watch youtube video's on your Amiga how cool is that!
With upcoming Gold core 2 and Riva AMMX you will be able to watch them even in a decent quality with smooth playback!

-Amirc (now freeware) is also a must to have, much nicer chatting on the Apollo IRC channel for example.
-Amiga Amp for MP3 playback and internet radio, the New Eagle player is also very nice and can use winamp/AmigaAmp skins now, also the new 14 bit amp of Eagleplayer sounds VERY good.
-I Also have the Amiga cloud handlers installed to access my google drive and dropbox (though it's slow but it works!)
-Picshow is a very nice picture viewer (Aminet) with a very nice GUI.
-Open URL is very handy to open URL's from other applications
-FTP mount is also very nice to have in order to exchange files between your PC and Amiga over the network (you could also configure Samba for that purpose and do not have to setup a FTP server at the PC side)

For a more modern GUI look of Amiga OS i use:

-Bridie for window skinning
-Visualprefs for nicer knobs and gadgets
-Reqattack for nicer requesters
-Tools daemon+Magic Menu
-PeterK's MUCH faster icon library and it supports OS4 icons
-Popup Menu library
-And a bunch of other things i probably forgot.

Amiga is addictive coz it's fun to use 8-) config: A600 Vampire 2 "Black Edition"

[Profile] [Quote]
Marlon
Post subject: Re: what software to make best use of Vamp2? Posted: Wed 28 Dec 2016 12:35
Mr-Z wrote:

-Amirc (now freeware) is also a must to have, much nicer chatting on the Apollo IRC channel for example.
-Amiga Amp for MP3 playback and internet radio, the New Eagle player is also very nice and can use winamp/AmigaAmp skins now, also the new 14 bit amp of Eagleplayer sounds VERY good.
-I Also have the Amiga cloud handlers installed to access my google drive and dropbox (though it's slow but it works!)
-Picshow is a very nice picture viewer (Aminet) with a very nice GUI.
-Open URL is very handy to open URL's from other applications
-FTP mount is also very nice to have in order to exchange files between your PC and Amiga over the network (you could also configure Samba for that purpose and do not have to setup a FTP server at the PC side)

For a more modern GUI look of Amiga OS i use:

-Bridie for window skinning
-Visualprefs for nicer knobs and gadgets
-Reqattack for nicer requesters
-Tools daemon+Magic Menu
-PeterK's MUCH faster icon library and it supports OS4 icons
-Popup Menu library
-And a bunch of other things i probably forgot.
some links for all this stuff would be lovely!

[Profile] [Quote]
darksun9210
Post subject: Re: what software to make best use of Vamp2? Posted: Wed 28 Dec 2016 15:19
google is your friend ;)

nice one, thanks for the pointers :) I too like to build my own systems from scratch.

I remember amikit real; I agree its a bit bloated, but not in the way you'd expect. the last time I downloaded it for my 060 A3k, I found the half a gig download was mostly full of 24bit half naked pictures of catwoman for backdrops. while this would be great if I was back in my single days of being a kid living at home or later on, renting a room/apartment, i'm now married with two kids. I don't need to explain to my wife that my amiga obsession is not an excuse to hide away looking at ... "pictures". that was awkward. :lol:

ok, here's what I got so far:-
OS3.1, MUI, then OS3.9 on top, OS3.9 internet software, cnet.device
here's what I've downloaded:-
netsurf m68k, OpenURL, YAM, FFMpeg, AmigaAMP, picShow, Riva, Amirc, cnet device just in case

found that cnet device and Genesis ...work... but it's painfully slow. wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if its just a case of getting the right version and variant of cnet.device for the vampire?

Vampire loaded
A500 + A600
Awaiting Vamps ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Mr-Z
Post subject: Re: what software to make best use of Vamp2? Posted: Wed 28 Dec 2016 15:36
FFmpeg ain't gonna work, needs FPU (If i remember correctly) and haven't got one (yet ;) )
Same goes for netsurf (well almost) be sure to download the non FPU binary)
Yeah newer cnet device als could not hurt, my 10/100 MBit card needed a newer version to work.

Amiga is addictive coz it's fun to use 8-) config: A600 Vampire 2 "Black Edition"

[Profile] [Quote]
darksun9210
Post subject: Re: what software to make best use of Vamp2? Posted: Thu 29 Dec 2016 23:12
yeah I was looking at the fpu only files being decompressed for ffmpeg wondering where the integer only binarys were. ah well.

ok, so netsurf puzzels me then, others seem to say "hey yeah its great!", but then when It boils down to it, it won't run? I still haven't got anything plugged into the hdmi out, or got p96 setup yet, so i'll have a hunt for the non FPU bin in the meantime. (good info, thanks :D)

cnet.device.... yeah I remember having to have a specific version for a netgear ... MA411? MA401? FAsomething? anyway, it's a 100meg card. got a 10meg only d-link that should be good to go. so I suspect I've got something wrong with my genesis setup.

Vampire loaded
A500 + A600
Awaiting Vamps ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
SamuraiCrow
Post subject: Re: what software to make best use of Vamp2? Posted: Fri 30 Dec 2016 10:55
Regarding the FPU, just because a program uses floating point math doesn't mean it won't work if sources are available. If you play with the compiler parameters to get soft floats, it will use the math libraries in the OS. I would not suggest that for games or any real-time executable code, but it will work for utility software.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] Return to “Vampire 600 V2”

Jump to: