Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ] Go to page 1 2 »
darksun9210
Post subject: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Wed 11 Jan 2017 23:40
just wondering if anyone has any "one vs the other" experience.
I have a rapidroad I was going to put in my A4k/x-surf100, but as the a4k's not very well at the moment, the rapidroad is still in it's still in its box... so... is available to be re-purposed. and if it is, well, then i'll buy another for the a4k's x-surf100

currently have a subway in the A600, but as it works and works well, I'd rather not break something if there is no discernible difference between the two on the clock port...?

Vampire loaded
A500 + A600
Awaiting Vamps ;)
A1200x3, A3000, A4000, CD32

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodion
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Thu 12 Jan 2017 10:19
I possessed both cards for some months in my A1200 and I can just tell you that I noticed NO difference between the two.
Both recognized all my USB devices the same way, being KB, Mouses, USB Sticks, etc. Subway has 4 ports instead of 2 (but it's of no use really) and Rapidroad gives back a floppy connector : that's all.

Perhaps some more in depth tests would show something but for a simple user like me it has not been the case.

Rod Pulsar Youtube Videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/RodionEdge/videos

[Profile] [Quote]
IanP
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Thu 12 Jan 2017 11:31
I would think the clock port would be the bottle neck so speed wise there's unlikely to be much difference. Device support will be down to the stack/drivers used.

[Profile] [Quote]
darksun9210
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Mon 16 Jan 2017 23:10
Cool, works for me, saves me pulling out the subway :D

thanks all.

Vampire loaded
A500 + A600
Awaiting Vamps ;)
A1200x3, A3000, A4000, CD32

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Fri 20 Jan 2017 09:15
Hi I had a Subway in my vampirized 600, and had the really bad idea to replace it with a Rapidroad USB. On the paper, and in the first try too, the Rapidroad is a very nice thing. With the Subway I had about 700 K/s transfert speed, with the Rapidroad I had about 1.5 Mb/s. The big problem is that the Rapidroad stopped to work just after I plugged a simple (and working) USB stick. I borrowed another Rapidroad by a friend that had a spare one, thinking it was just bad luck with a bad model. 2 days after the same problem happen with another (working too) USB stick. I know that I'm not the only one to have this problem: at a party I meet someone with exactly the same symptom.
I have now 2 non working rapidroad that I sended via the resseler to Jens, and I have no news since October 2016, still waiting. The worst thing is that my Subway refuse now to work in my system, it is not recognised anymore, despite it's work in another machine (so I know that the Subway is working). My understanding is that the new poseidon installation provided by IC on the wiki aimed for the Rapidroad don't allow anymore the Subway to work. I spended many hours on this, and finaly I decided that because the LAN / FTP solution between my Mac and my Amiga, I don't need an USB solution on my 600 after all.
My advices are :
1. if you have a working Subway, don't touch it, don't try to install the Rapidroad, don't install the IC poseidon version. You will end with a non working system
2. don't buy the Rapidroad. It's simply a pièce of non working crap, and it will give you only headeaches. IC didn't assue his customers support and tanke month to send a working hardware back to you (if it's append once).

My two cents :-)

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
SpacemonkeyUK
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Sun 5 Feb 2017 15:28
Any news on your RapidRoad USB on what caused the failure. as a was looking to add one to my A600 setup

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Wed 8 Feb 2017 08:54
Yes, Individual Computers answered me and say that the Rapidroad in non working due to a power faillure caused by my Amiga. The fact is that it was plugged in an A604n, that the power supply is ok (mesured it) and that all other devices in my 600 are working ok, including the vampire (I have very long uptimes while testing internal cores, my A600 is very stable). So, my advice is to stay far away from the rapidroad (and from other IC products too), because it is not a trustable device, and IC won't assume there responsability in surch case, saddly. As I said, if you have a subway, don't touch your configuration.

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
SpacemonkeyUK
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Mon 13 Feb 2017 14:03
Bit disappointing as i was looking to add a rapidroad to my setup once i have i Vampire, All of the peripherals in my A600 are powered directly from the genuine 90 watt PICO PSU (Floppy, 2 HDD).

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Tue 14 Feb 2017 07:36
Yes I know, I'm disapointed too, but really, stay away from the rapidroad, it will save your hair. We are three people here In Switzerland having a rapidroad. The 2 other has the same problem (card non working after a simple USB key plugged) with no user fault. If we get our card back from Jens, we are simply don't use it anymore....

[Profile] [Quote]
Niding
Post subject: Re: Subway vs rapidroad clock port USB Posted: Tue 14 Feb 2017 10:05
I too have a Rapidroad USB, and it just stopped working, for no reason. When it did work, it was a really good product, but it seems extremely sensitive, given it appears several people has reported failures. I was considering getting a new one, but with googledrive, I dont really need it anymore.

I do have 604n, and Im very happy with that unit. Works flawlessly.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ] Return to “Vampire 600 V2” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: