Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Drewlio77
Post subject: Amiga 500 Plus RTC Issue Posted: Mon 30 Jan 2017 20:50
Hi,

Firstly I really love my new Vampire 500 V2+. It's an awesome piece of Hardware and coding. On my Amiga 500 Plus (2 Meg chip plus Battery backed up RTC) the RTC diesn't appear to be read properly, upon boot it will always default to when the SD Boot card was installed (OS Installation). No matter how many times I correct it the time returns to the earlier date. If I remove the Vampire 500 V2+ and install the 68000 CPU and 3.1 Rom, the correct time is automatically displayed upon boot and survives power off cycles, I did not have to change the time time Prefs. I could try it with a trapdoor expansion on the other A500 I have but I don't want to mess around too much with the Vampire since it cost me a small fortune (well worth it though).

The weird part is the first boot after I replace the Vampire 500V2+ back into my 500, the RTC reads fine (correct time). Any software reboot or hard power cycle after that causes the symptoms as mentioned before.

I have tried both Gold Cores (Gold and Gold2). Same results.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Note: The RTC works fine with the ACA 500+ and ACA 1233 Accelerator as well as the stock A500 setup.

UPDATE:

I have done some tests using the Setclock and Date commands.

The initial time is , as mentioned before from a week ago, Jan 23rd.

Using the Shell, Setclock Load command will show the clock is now at it's default setting - 12 Am 1978. This also changes the WB clock to that time. If I correct it by using the Date command and then use Setclock Save to save the corrected time, it will survive one reboot (if I use the Time Prefs in Prefs this doesn't happen, only using the Setclock Save command seems to make the corrected time survive one reboot). On the next reboot it reverts back to the older date mentioned before. And yes, if I run Setclcok Load again, the time goes back to the default 1978 time.

For some reason the Vampire is not reading the RTC after the 2nd reboot/Power cycle. It will stay this way until I manually change the time , then the cycle repeats as stated above.

UPDATE 2:

After using the Date and Setclcock commands and steps above I added this line to my s:startup-sequence

C:Setclock >NIL: SAVE

Since the date and time survives one reboot using that method, this line perpetually keeps the RTC refreshed and the Vampire 500V2+ seems to be happy with that. Now my RTC is read correctly after a reboot or power cycle.

This issue should be addressed. Not every Amiga user has cosmic powers and the ability to concoct a workaround of this nature.

Drewlio77

Drewlio77

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: Amiga 500 Plus RTC Issue Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2017 17:57
Strange, I just checked on my V500+, I don't have this issue... What RTC board do you use ?

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
Drewlio77
Post subject: Re: Amiga 500 Plus RTC Issue Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2017 18:26
It has the builtin, onboard RTC. The battery was replaced when I got it a few year back with a non leaky variant.

It is odd. I can duplicate the problem every time with the Vampire board.

What is strange is setclock load always shows Jan 1, 1978 but the RTC had not been over written. If go back to the 68000 CPU and boot from my Workbench 3.1 disks, the current time shows up fine.

Drewlio77

Drewlio77

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: Amiga 500 Plus RTC Issue Posted: Wed 8 Feb 2017 09:03
I use the onboard RTC of my 500+ too. This is very strange, until now, nobody else reported such an issue with the Vampire, so it seems not to be a general issue, but more some incompatibility problem. Do you have web access with your a500+ ?

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
Drewlio77
Post subject: Re: Amiga 500 Plus RTC Issue Posted: Wed 8 Feb 2017 20:42
No, but my A1200 tower does. I can do more troubleshooting when I get home next week.

The odd thing is the correct RTC time is there unless I save it after WB loads the incorrect time or the stock 1978 date (reverting back to the 68000 + 3.1 Rom chips). I could try it on my other A500 (Rev 6A) with an expansion ram/rtc card. I will let you know how that turns out. I am out of town so this will likely be in about 10 days time.

Drewlio77

Drewlio77

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] Return to “Vampire 500 V2(+)”

Jump to: