Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Sinphaltimus
Post subject: [RESOLVED]Problems with Accelerator installation. Posted: Wed 12 Jul 2017 01:09
Here are the steps I took thus far.

Prior to installation, I copied all files needed for corev2, saga and sd drivers along with utilities and pfs3 giggledisk etc... to my Amiga via Amiga explorer. Once I had everything I needed on the Amiga HDD I shut it down and pulled out the CPU and the kickstart ROM. Then I....
1. inserted the Vampire board.

2. Connected HDMI cable from Vampire to Display. I'm only using one display as it has the RCA connection for native video and HDMI, I planned to simply change the input selection to switch back and forth when needed.

3. My A500 rev.5 mainboard with only 1MB chip has a GVP A500 HD+ SCSI controller that I boot from. With the AUTOBOOT ON and RCA video selected, I get a jingle (musical notes kind of sounds) at a black screen, then my Amiga reboots and does it again. When I switch to HDMI I can see the black and red Vampire logo, then the Amiga reboots and repeats the process without any musical type jungle. Switch back to RCA video and the Jingle returns with black screen and rebooting.

4. I turned off the A500 and switch my GVP controller to GAME (NOT AUTOBOOT) and the RCA video is a black screen, the HDMI is the Vampire Logo without any reboots occurring.
5. at this point I insert a bootable WB3.1 floppy disk and it boots to Workbench off of the floppy disk on the RCA video display but it does not see my GVP SCSI controller or hard disks.

What do I need to do to get this to work? What about my SCSI controller to boot?

Note: I have not installed my CF card reader yet. I simply wanted to boot from my SCSI HDD and do all the setup prep work first.

EDIT: I got on #Apollo-Team IRC and received some help - here are the steps I took and where I am at now.

<Sinphaltimus> I'm wondering if someone can help my with my Vampire issues?

<Trashy|MG> Can you boot in no startup-sequence mode and get to a prompt?

<Sinphaltimus> I held down both mouse buttons and don't get the early startup on either screen.
<Sinphaltimus> I'll be right back. I'm going to disconnect my GVP controller and install the CF Card reader with a prepped card and see if it boots then. May take a few minutes.
<Sinphaltimus> OK - It does not boot from either of the CF cards I prepped either however I can get into the early startup menu - I select DH0 and it won't boot (reboots) I select DH0 and click boot without startup and I am in a shell.
That's CF Card DH0 - no SCSI controller attached.

<Trashy|MG> This prepped CF card is it the ApolloOS or something you put together?

<Sinphaltimus> It is classicWB setup in WinUAE

<Trashy|MG> Hmm reboots when trying to use the floppy drive... You using a stock A500 PSU?

<Sinphaltimus> Yes stock and I can boot off a WB3.1 boot disk. Even when GVP is connected but only in GAME mode (Not AUTOBOOT) It doesn't reboot when using floppy.
It's not rebooting now, still n shell.
Stock PSU

<Trashy|MG> Okay can you edit your Startup-Sequence?
What does your SetPatch line look like?

<Sinphaltimus> C:SetPatch Quiet
8:31 PM T<Trashy|MG> I think you need to add something to that, you on Regular Gold 2 or the 2.5 Beta?

<Sinphaltimus> I'm guessing regular Goldv2 - It just arrived yesterday so whatever it came with.

<Trashy|MG> yeah likely, try adding NOROMUPDATE before the QUIET
If that doesn't work try: SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device,exec.library" QUIET

<Sinphaltimus> Well with the NOROMUPDATE added it won't boot without startup anymore. just a black screen.
I'm going to insert the other CF Card I prepped and see if I can get back into that shell.

<Trashy|MG> Hmm well it would skip the Startup-Sequence if you were using Non Startup-Sequence mode...
Black screen on HDMI or the RGB?

<Sinphaltimus> The black screen was on RGB (I'm using the modulator for RCA video connection) - Now here's something else. the second prepped card would not boot to no startup either (the second cf card is actually an SD to CFcard so I swapped out that SD for a third prepped system and tried a straight boot. I got 2 errors - One about not loading SCSI.Device because it is already loaded and the second was a C:LoadModule error code 10
Wb didn't load, sitting at shell. this was booting with startup
Since it seems to stop loading WB due to scsi.devce, I'm going to try the skip argument
OK so now I edited SetPatch to this SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device,exec.library" QUIET and rebooted after save. I got the same scsi.device errors so I edited the startup-sequence again and rem'ed out the first few lines that load the scsi.device. WB booted and I got to the workbench screen for a split second before the screen went black. So now it's booting in to classicWB but shortly after the screen comes up it goes blank, the vampire logo is still visible on the hdmi but RCA is black. RCA via RGB

I want to see if I can boot to the early startup again with the GVP attached and the CF Card detached. If that fails I'll connect the CF Card and leave the GVP attached as well to see what happens.
Well with the gvp attach and set to autoboot it doesn't boot or go into early startup - with the gvp attached and set to game mode (not autoboot) the system can go into early startup and it can boot to classWB but as before the screen goes black as soon as Wb is loaded. So I detached the GVP for now. Dunno why the screen goes blank right after WB is loaded.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus on Sat 9 Sep 2017 16:12, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mr-Z
Post subject: Re: Problems with Accelerator installation. Posted: Wed 12 Jul 2017 06:10
It's a bit of a hard read with irc log, but to start trouble shooting.
When you have no boot devices connected (gvp and cf card adapter disconnected) do you see the vampire boot logo on the HDMI output and does it give a stable picture ?

Amiga is addictive coz it's fun to use 8-) config: A600 Vampire 2 "Black Edition"

[Profile] [Quote]
Sinphaltimus
Post subject: Re: Problems with Accelerator installation. Posted: Wed 12 Jul 2017 12:42
The very first time it booted I did notice the vampire logo screen on HDMI had glitched a little. But I have not seen that since. I'm going to try and clean up the IRC log above - if I can't - I'll summarize here.

EDIT:OK, I cleaned up the IRC log above.

At this point in time, classicWB does boot off CF Card adaptor with SD card but as soon as I see the WB screen and backdrop with WB icons, the screen goes black.

I'm going to try to install Workbench from scratch after work today. Please feel free to reply with anything else you want me to check. If I can get Wb reinstalled before work I'll update this reply with another EDIT:

The problem is, I really need the GVP SCSI to work. It is self powered. The system works great with a 68000 cpu and my kickrom installed. With the Vampire and no kickrom chip the GVP A500HD+ doesn't work at all and sends the system into a reboot loop. I'll be happy to get this system up and running from CF card for now and troubleshoot the GVP SCSI issue later. classicWB is too complex a setup to troubleshoot further I think and would rather start clean and install things myself one at a time. Not really interested in gaming on this A500. Ultimate goal is to use it for multimedia content creation and internet. I only used classicWb on the CF cards to prep them and see if it worked.

EDIT2: OK I was able to install Wb from scratch using my Cloanto Wb licensed adfs (I have a GoTek Drive). I was able to update the flash and did so even though the core installed was the exact same version of the core I downloaded. I then edited my s:startup-sequence as follows:

OLD Startup =
C:Version >NIL: exec.library 45 20
If WARN
C:SetPatch QUIET
EndIf

NEW Startup =
C:Version >NIL: exec.library 45 20
If WARN
SYS:C/SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET
EndIf

After powering off the Amiga, I get the following error at boot up.

AMIGA ROM Operating System and Libraries