Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 6  [ 57 posts ] Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
vox
Post subject: Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4 Posted: Mon 2 Oct 2017 15:11
cbmfreak wrote: *  Thu 24 Aug 2017 07:45
I heard that V4 will have a good amount of chip ram as well as ethernet build-in? that is good news indeed :)

will the stand alone version (and maybe the A1200 version) of V4 feature build-in WIFI? How would WIFI even be handled in workbench 3.9 ?

on the other hand, there options for using WIFI through a LAN port, like for example using a pi3 to connect to WIFI and then letting it share its connection through ethernet to the vampire V4. That would also open up for stuff like maybe a VNC connection from the vampire V4 to the pi3

Only thing that would makes this project even more awesome, would be to have an additional FPGA that is configured to be a PPC accellerator, so a Vampire system could run AmigaOS 4.x as well as AmigaOS versions prior to 4.x (3.x and below) :)
Well, plan is to enterily skip OS 4 unless OS4 goes Vampire. AROS 68k is future VampOS.

Wi-Fi is not planned, while people do love wireless, as you say Ethernet ported can be just connected to router. Answer is simple: there is no Wi-Fi support in AmigaOS and AROS. I have tried one Prism card with OS4 and it needs manual config, its slow 11mbps or so (so ethernet does better) and has no visual display of network, selection etc. Its possible, but someone needs to backport some better drivers from OS4 and MOS and do the system part. Since AOS is trapped in "Hype hell" I dont see this coming.

Idea of Vamp is that in time, core advancement and tweaking 68k can level up to PPC in speed, rendering it unnecessary. Since PPC library, even including MOS and OS4 one, is quite minimal and most of good apps exist in 68k version, I see no trouble there.

In my now five years experience of OS4, its not worth of the number and name. Its just has AmigaOS look.

[Profile] [Quote]
olivier2222
Post subject: Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4 Posted: Tue 3 Oct 2017 10:53
Quote:
Answer is simple: there is no Wi-Fi support in AmigaOS and AROS.
Excuse-me but there is WIFI support in AROS.

There is no PCMCIA support but some WIFI USB adaptors do work as should PCI ones.
I have such a working USB adaptor myself.
I think wpa_supplicant and the driver are the work of Neil Cafferkey as is dhclient if I remember well.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Plat ... k_Adapters

[Profile] [Quote]
cbmfreak
Post subject: Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4 Posted: Fri 6 Oct 2017 15:46
Vox: Sounds good.

[Profile] [Quote]
madk71
Post subject: Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4 Posted: Fri 6 Oct 2017 16:24
Hi, please can you give me an idea on when the pre-order start and how much it will cost?
The waiting time will be more or less a week if I am not wrong.

[Profile] [Quote]
madk71
Post subject: Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4 Posted: Fri 6 Oct 2017 16:27
Some one is thinking about a very gorgeous case (amiga style but really new look, minitower possibly) for the standalone board?
:idea:

[Profile] [Quote]
DJLorry
Post subject: Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4 Posted: Tue 10 Oct 2017 23:54
Hello.
My question concerning cpu core is:
when will the MMU be added to the 68080 core ?
And what about hardware fpu without emulation ?
There are so many programs that require one of the two or even both.
Regards

[Profile] [Quote]
rshimada
Post subject: Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4 Posted: Wed 11 Oct 2017 16:28
DJLorry wrote: *  Tue 10 Oct 2017 23:54
when will the MMU be added to the 68080 core ?
There are no plans for a Motorola compatible MMU
Quote:
And what about hardware fpu without emulation ?
The hard FPU needs the larger FPGA in V4. See http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.ph ... 7&z=RH-o5Y
Quote:
There are so many programs that require one of the two or even both.
This program lists I have seen that require an MMU or FPU are quite short. This is no surprise, as this would have targeted A3000 class systems.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 6  [ 57 posts ] Return to “Upcoming products” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6

Jump to: