Apollo Accelerators

Apollo Accelerators Discussion Forum
» » »
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Crom
Post subject: Vampire 600V2 HDMI and AMIGA RGB connection options in the USA Posted: Fri 25 Nov 2016 22:42
Lots of folks on facebook ask about the HDMI connection so I'd figure I drop a post on how one could go about routing combined Vampire video and Amiga RGB video out to just one monitor. Kids in Europe have it easy, just use a bog standard TV with multiple scart inputs... Here in the Americas (land of NO SCART) everything is over complicated.... We never had scart... so we had to purchase a Commodore monitor or 3rd party equivalent. Standard VGA PC monitors have always been a dime a dozen.... BUT part of the royal pain in the ass of owning an Amiga in the USA is the lack of easy RGB displays....We need to source a 15.7g kHz compatible VGA/ DVI or HDMI based display. Not many options here in the USA for cheap and easy retro compatible RGB standard like scart. Back in 2010 I rediscovered the Sony PVM range and got a 20" PVM display and cobbled together a cable setup that worked using SCART TO DRG, then RGB to PVM.

PVM prices have skyrocketed due to their discovery by rich retro scene hipsters. A pvm is not an option..... I have a 1084 but it's busted...So I have this SCART to HDMI scaler and a collection of Amiga RGB to scart adapters, I reckon I could give it a try. I have it all routed through the HD video converter SCART TO HDMI adapter available on Amazon and EBAY. The SCART to HDMI box has a HDMI pass through connector so I routed the amplified HDMI out from the vampire into the Scaler box.

I sourced a 5 way scart switcher from a low cost UK based seller. I connected the SCART output of the 5 way onto the input of the HDMI scaler box and routed all my systems through the scart using various adapters.

I can now switch from Vampire to Amiga RGB via my scart cable using just one input on my Dell u2140 monitor. I even use an HDMI to DVI cable out of the Scaler to feed the Dell monitor. It's great to be able to run all my systems through a single modern day monitor and not have to source a Commodore 1804, or PVM. There is a slight latency issue but I haven't noticed it. Then again I'm not playing super smash bros on the Wii...

Excuse the mess.... but hey it works!
http://imgur.com/tZOSc0T

Running DARK FORCES using Fusion and MacOs 7.5.3
http://imgur.com/nba8qoP

Last edited by Crom on Sat 26 Nov 2016 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600 and AMIGA RGB connection options in the USA Posted: Fri 25 Nov 2016 22:58
Hi Crom, it's look nice ! Do you have any link for the scart to HDMI converter ? How do you switch between the HDMI SAGA source and the RGB Amiga source ? Manually with a button ?
Thanks.

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
Crom
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600 and AMIGA RGB connection options in the USA Posted: Sat 26 Nov 2016 00:13
To switch to Vampire HDMI out using the scaler you can hit a scart / HD toggle button to cycle through the scart and the HDMI inputs.

(the links below are for auctions that will eventually expire)

Here is a link to the scart 5 way switcher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-WAY-Scart-Spl ... xyeZNTR~bu

Scart to HDMI adapter
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... t&_sacat=0

Ordered XBOX original, Wii and Dreamcast Scart cable so I can route all my systems through one display. Long live SCART!

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600V2 HDMI and AMIGA RGB connection options in the USA Posted: Sat 26 Nov 2016 08:20
ok, thanks. The switch button is a soft button that give an inpulse, right ? This is not a manual switch with two positions ? There is only two positions ? I mean, if I press once, I go SCART, if I press one more time, I go HDMI, and If I press one more time, I go scart ?
If yes, I'm thinking of something : maybe can we write a little hack to tel the switch via the parallel port when to switch ?

A600 V1.5, V600 V2, A604n, RTC, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, PCMCIA Ethernet, HD floppy, TOM, HP Pavilion 23xi monitor
A500+V8A, V500+, Indi ECS, 32Gb CF, SD-net, SD floppy, Kipper 2Mb chip expansion, TOM, Eizo EV2450

[Profile] [Quote]
Crom
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600V2 HDMI and AMIGA RGB connection options in the USA Posted: Sun 27 Nov 2016 04:30
The switch button requires a couple of presses to switch between scart and HDMI. There is a button on the HDMI scaler. The picture is of good quality. A straight HDMI or DVI connection to a monitor provides better quality. As I'm sure you know unless you run at the native display resolution of an LCD the quality will always leave a bit to be desired. my Sony 14" PVM is still the best display around for Amiga games.

[Profile] [Quote]
guibrush
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600V2 HDMI and AMIGA RGB connection options in the USA Posted: Sun 27 Nov 2016 09:57
ok, thanks. If we need more than one press on the button, than my idea can't be done. Well, it doesn't matter, someday we find a way to have an auto-switch between the vampire and the ECS output :-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Crom
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600V2 HDMI and AMIGA RGB connection options in the USA Posted: Sat 11 Mar 2017 14:32
One more thing I found recently. I have been using a dell u2410 and Nec !970nx. Of course those monitors require 15 pin to 23 pin adapters. You must use a buffered adapter, like the one from Commodore or the sync strainer from PreVUE technologies. The cool thing about the SCART to HDMI adapter is that it eliminates the need for such an adapter. If you don't use a buffered adapter your machine may not boot. All the more reason to use this SCART to HDMI adapter.
Some ebay vendors build and sell 15 pin to 23 pin adapters from time to time. You have to check, make sure they are buffered adapters. I made the mistake of purchasing a non buffered unit. They work fin on the A600 (recapped) but don't worok on the rest of my uncapped Amigas.

[Profile] [Quote]
obitus1990
Post subject: Re: Vampire 600V2 HDMI and AMIGA RGB connection options in the USA Posted: Thu 6 Jul 2017 19:34
Thank you for this useful link for the SCART switcher. I saw something for sale on an amiga-specific online vendor called a HYDRA, but it was almost $200 USD, far more than what I'd ever spend on something like this.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] Return to “Help and tutorials”

Jump to: